On the move: 10 tips to make move day simple
Updated: Jan 24
Did you know that according the U.S Census in 2021 a total of 15.3 million American households moved?
About 3 million of those made an inter-state move last year.
That number got me thinking that there is quite an amount of people needing every sort of help with their moves. From tips to make it less chaotic, to information and resources on finances, moving companies, rentals, home buying…
There are so many things you need to think of before you even decide to move, during your move and once you arrive to your new home.
For me, keeping things as simple as possible is a top priority. It is so easy to feel overwhelmed during the many phases of moving more so when you have young kids who constantly require your attention. Staying organized and keeping everything uncomplicated makes me feel less stressful and allows me to take on the move with a better attitude.
We are constantly looking for tips to make moving easier, anything from de-cluttering to packing but what about the day the of your move? What are some things you should think about for move day?
I thought about this and wanted to share some things that have worked for me through previous moves.
Here are some tips you can follow to make your move day easier:
1. One of the most important tips I can give you is to do a final and thorough walk through of your home after everything is out of the house and cleaned. You do not want to leave anything behind or not pay attention to a final walkthrough more so if you are renting.
2. The last thing you will want to do is make food after the move so order take out to make it easier on yourself. No need to go through boxes looking for pots and pans or run to the store for groceries. Keep it simple, order in or if you are traveling eat on the way to your destination.
3. Create a 1st day essentials box filled with batteries, toilet paper, cleaning items, paper towels and plates… These are things you know you will use the day you move in.
4. Show your movers some love; some companies allow tips if not you could always get them lunch, drinks and snacks while they are moving your items. It will be a long day for them as well and being kind goes a long way.
5. Don’t forget about your pets. Keep pet supplies handy: leash, toys, food, water. If taking a road trip during your move make sure you have medical records for your pet as well.
6. Make sure everything in the house is locked. Once done make sure all windows and doors are properly secured and keys turned in to the owner.
7. Keep some cash on you. You never know when you will need it. Cash could come handy for any such as moving tips, food or any travel related expenses you might have.
8. Have someone to take care of your kids or pets. This can help you stay focus and also limit accidents. You can plan this ahead by contacting local babysitting or pet sitting services or have family help you.
9. Once at the new place, let the movers know where you want the boxes. If you have labeled your boxes according to room then this should not be a big deal but just in case a reminder is helpful. This will also make things easier when it comes to unpacking.
10. Make sure all services get disconnected after you leave. If you planned ahead then you already reached out to all services to transfer them to a new address or cancel them but make sure that they follow through after you leave.
The one thing I always recommend no matter what is to do your research on local moving companies that can help you out without any problems. If you are in the L.A and surrounding areas Best West Moving is there to help you! Go request a quote for your move, book a date and they will prep and pack your items and deliver them safely to your next destination.
They also offer Safe moving services , they are reliable and seasoned professionals that will take care of your items and keep them safe while moving
I hope this blog posts helps you prepare better for your upcoming move and that you can plan ahead to make this event as easy going as possible.